Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese medicine that involves inserting thin needles into the top layer of skin. The needles are so thin that most people can’t even feel them, but this treatment can provide a myriad of medical benefits from pain relief to improved mental and emotional health.
The science behind acupuncture involves strategically placing the needles in certain areas of the body that correspond to other parts of the body. One of these strategic points of placement is the ear. Placing acupuncture needles in the ear has shown to provide some specific types of health benefits.
Benefits of Ear Acupuncture
Ear acupuncture can treat a variety of health problems and disorders, including:
- Migraine Headaches. Ear acupuncture has been shown to lessen the pain of migraines and cause them to occur less frequently.
- Acute Pain. Acute or severe pain following surgery or injury can be relieved with ear acupuncture.
- Chronic Pain. People suffering from chronic pain have found relief with ear acupuncture among other strategic acupuncture points.
- Insomnia. Ear acupuncture is especially helpful at relieving insomnia (trouble falling asleep and staying asleep).
- Anxiety. Chronic anxiety can be reduced with the help of ear acupuncture.
- Obesity. Severely overweight people have found that ear acupuncture helped them to lose weight.
- Constipation. Those who suffer from regular constipation and bowel issues have found relief from ear acupuncture.
- Smoking and Substance Abuse. Quitting smoking and overcoming substance abuse can be easier when ear acupuncture is part of a rehabilitation program.
How Does Ear Acupuncture Work?
Acupuncture points are certain areas of the body that are targets for other areas of the body. When acupuncture needles are inserted in specific points, they provide pain relief and healing forces to other specific areas of the body. The ear has over 200 acupuncture points, with 39 of them being most commonly known and 10 master points used most often in treatment.
Shenmen is one of the master points that provides a relaxing effect that can calm anxiety. One specific point in the ear that corresponds to the kidney helps cleanse toxins from the body, which is especially helpful in substance abuse treatment. The sympathetic point on the ear impacts the sympathetic nervous system to relieve stress and promote lung and digestive health. These are just a few of the specific points used in ear acupuncture to aid in the body’s overall health and wellness.
What To Expect From an Ear Acupuncture Session
If you’re considering ear acupuncture, you may want to know what to expect, especially if you’re feeling apprehensive at all about the treatment. Here’s what a typical session is like.
You will be asked some general questions about your health and habits. This gives the acupuncturist an idea of the problems and symptoms you are seeking relief from in order to better plan your care.
Next you will sit or lay down while thin needles are inserted into specific areas of your ear. Most people don’t feel anything, but others report a very mild stinging sensation. You will sit or lie still for between 10 and 20 minutes, after which the needles will be removed. Removal of the needles is usually painless as well.
Acupuncture Treatment at Thumos Health Center
Are you interested in trying ear acupuncture treatment? Whether you are looking for relief from pain, anxiety, addiction, insomnia, constipation, or other health issues, acupuncture is an alternative form of treatment that may provide relief when other treatments have failed. Acupuncture has a basis in both Eastern and Western medicine. Eastern medicine focuses primarily on spiritual energy and Western medicine focuses primarily on science, but both acknowledge acupuncture as a valid form of treatment.
Thumos Health Center focuses on Eastern medicine as an alternative or additional therapy to Western medicine, providing solutions to seemingly unsolvable medical problems such as chronic pain and infertility. If you feel like you’ve tried everything without relief, try Thumos Health Center.
Call (310) 927-2792 or contact us today to schedule a consultation. We look forward to providing you with the unique relief that ear acupuncture offers.