Weight is a major health concern for many people. More than two thirds of Americans are overweight. Being overweight is detrimental to your health in many ways, but many find it difficult to lose weight or even maintain a healthy weight.
If you’ve tried diets and workouts and other means to try and lose weight with no success, there’s another option you may not have tried: acupuncture for weight loss. Many people have found that acupuncture, in combination with a healthy diet and fitness program, has helped them to lose weight. How does it work? Here’s what we know.
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese medicine that is still used today in facilities that provide Eastern medicine and herbology. It involves the insertion of thin needles into the top layer of the skin. The needles are placed in strategic areas of the body to improve the flow of energy, known as the Qi in Eastern medicine. The Qi is believed to be the life force of all living things, but it can become blocked, causing pain and health issues. Acupuncture restores the flow of Qi throughout the body.
How Can Acupuncture Help with Weight Loss?
There are many different health aspects that acupuncture can improve, which may in turn help with weight loss, such as:
- Hormones. Acupuncture has been known to promote healthy hormone production in your body. As you know, hormones affect everything and can incite huge changes in the body. Hormones are a major factor in weight loss. A hormonal imbalance could be the reason you struggle to lose weight.
- Stress. Stress causes the body to produce a chemical called cortisol that has been known to increase sugar levels in the blood and cause weight gain. Acupuncture can reduce stress, which will decrease the body’s production of cortisol and help with weight loss.
- Digestion. Acupuncture can also improve the health of the digestive system. Many patients have found that acupuncture has helped them relax, which in turn has improved or eliminated some of the digestive issues they’ve had. It also improves liver function, which helps your body more effectively use nutrients.
- Sleep. Another health benefit of acupuncture is better sleep. Acupuncture may help you to fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer for better quality sleep. And sleep is a factor in weight loss, as people find that when they feel more rested they are more likely to make healthier choices.
- Cravings. Acupuncture helps to curb cravings of all kinds from food to the urge to smoke. People have found that acupuncture has helped them avoid giving into their cravings and that their cravings have lessened or even completely subsided.
- Energy. Acupuncture is directly related to energy, and all of the above health benefits will also increase your energy level. When you have more energy, you are more likely to be more physically active on a regular basis, which can help you lose weight.
Acupuncture for Weight Loss May Be the Answer
If you’ve struggled with your weight and can’t seem to manage it, acupuncture may be the treatment that finally works. With all of the above health benefits, you can see how acupuncture could make a difference in how you feel. And when you feel better, you can live a healthier, more active lifestyle. Combine acupuncture with a healthy and fitness program and you are more likely to see results.
Does Acupuncture Hurt?
One of the reasons some people have never tried acupuncture is because they are afraid it will hurt or have a fear of needles. Acupuncture needles are so thin, most people say they don’t feel them at all. Those who do feel the needles say there is only a mild sting or pinch as they go in, which quickly subsides.
Thumos Health Center Provides Acupuncture and Herbology
Are you ready to try acupuncture and experience all of the health benefits? Thumos Health Center practices Eastern medicine, including acupuncture and herbology. We believe in treating the whole person in as natural a way as possible. Acupuncture for weight has worked for many patients and it may also work for you.
Call (323) 372-5150 or contact us today to schedule a consultation. We look forward to helping you be the best version of yourself.