As you might already know, Chinese acupuncture is an ancient healing practice that dates back 5,000 years. The process involves the insertion of thin, sterile, disposable needles into the skin. By carefully inserting these needles at just the right spots, dramatic curative and analgesic (painkilling) effects occur. Today, this therapeutic modality is recognized by both the National Institute of Health (NIH) and the World Health Organization (WHO) as a supportive complement to the treatment of virtually any medical condition.
How Does Acupuncture Work?
According to traditional Chinese beliefs, Qi is the life force or vitality that runs through every living thing. Yet the pressures of daily life, poor nutrition, and other factors can cause the Qi to become blocked. In addition, Eastern thought views the body as a holistic system with a tremendous ability to heal itself. Rather than treating symptoms, Eastern medicine focuses on restoring the body to balance and supporting it in its efforts to achieve optimum wellness.
Acupuncture has a twofold effect. It unblocks channels, allowing Qi and healing blood to flow freely. It also stimulates the body’s systems, including the complicated mix of chemicals in the brain, and gently guides them back into balance. Acupuncture helps the body heal itself while alleviating pain and distress.
What Medical Conditions can Acupuncture Treat?
On its own or in tandem with other Eastern or Western treatment options, acupuncture can be effective against a long list of conditions such as:
- Allergies, asthma, and sinusitis
- Joint pain, sciatica, tennis elbow, carpal tunnel, fibromyalgia, and other pain disorders
- Digestive disorders including nausea and irritable bowel syndrome
- Women’s health issues such as PMS, endometriosis, and menopause
- Fertility and reproductive concerns
- Pregnancy pain and morning sickness
By promoting natural healing and circulation, acupuncture can enhance your natural recuperative power and immunity, support your physical and emotional health, and improve your overall daily functioning and well-being. It is a safe, painless way to treat a wide variety of medical problems.
What We Offer
We are a pair of licensed acupuncturists with Master’s degrees in Oriental Medicine. We are deeply familiar with both Eastern and Western treatment methodologies, and we believe that an integrative approach is best. We always begin with a thorough evaluation of your current physical and psychological health. We seek relationships with our patients’ Western doctors, and enjoy being a part of a comprehensive treatment team.
- Fertility Acupuncture: The research evidence for the benefits of fertility acupuncture is so strong that many Los Angeles-area physicians refer their patients to us. We design a 3 to 6 month individualized plan to calm your body and help it get ready for pregnancy. We also provide supportive acupuncture for women working with IVF (in vitro fertilization) specialists to improve the chances for successful implantation. We also provide acupuncture for men’s infertility issues.
- Healthy Pregnancy: Our support does not end once conception occurs. The first 12 weeks of pregnancy are considered the critical time for early miscarriage, and acupuncture can help reduce your risks. Acupuncture can also alleviate many of the common pregnancy-related complaints, such as back pain and morning sickness. We can also help you prepare for labor and even, with approval from your OB/GYN, provide stimulation to help a breech baby turn.
- Detox: In combination with herbs and nutritional counseling, acupuncture can help you gently detox. We will help you cleanse the toxins from your system in a safe and natural way.
- Stress and Migraines: Stress is an inevitable part of daily life, but acupuncture can help relieve its crushing hold on the body and mind. Research shows that acupuncture can even alleviate the pain associated with migraine headaches.
- Women’s Health: From disorders such as PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and endometriosis to the radical hormonal fluxes associated with perimenopause and menopause, acupuncture can help restore the body to balance and minimize life-limiting symptoms. Even if you are not exactly sure what the root problem is, acupuncture can alleviate your distress. Of course, we always encourage a full Western medical workup as well.
- Allergies and Immune Responses: An overactive immune response to nonthreatening substances, allergies range from bothersome to life-threatening. Acupuncture can help to calm your immune system and dramatically reduce your allergic responses.
- Chinese Herbology: In Eastern medicine, acupuncture and herbology often go hand-in-hand. Used for centuries to support the body’s natural healing ability, herbal preparations are generally considered safe and healthy. In fact, many of them have found their way into Western medicinal usage due to their powerful antioxidants or exceptional calming effects.
Located in Pacific Palisades, with satellite clinics in Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, and Beverly Hills, Thumos Health Center offers patients exceptional personalized care. If you are ready to take the first steps toward a more integrative approach to your health care, we invite you to phone (323) 372-5150 to schedule an appointment at any of our Los Angeles locations. Our highly knowledgeable and friendly staff will be happy to answer any questions or concerns you might have.