Do you suffer from migraine headaches? If you do, then you are well aware that migraines are not your everyday headache. The pain can be excruciating, causing nausea and light sensitivity. You may have tried medication or diet changes to help reduce the frequency of your migraines, but if you still get them regularly, there are other options for relief.
Acupuncture for migraines has been shown to reduce the pain as well as the frequency of their occurrence. Many patients have found relief from acupuncture when nothing else has been effective.
How Acupuncture Works
Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese medicine that is widely used in holistic medical centers around the world. The process involves the insertion of thin, hollow needles into the outer layer of skin. The needles are placed at strategic points on the body that correspond to specific pain centers. Most people find these needles to be completely painless.
Eastern medicinal philosophy is that acupuncture restores the flow of energy in the body that was previously blocked and causing pain. Western medicinal philosophy is that acupuncture increases blood flow to the area where the pain resides, accelerating healing. Both cultures would agree that acupuncture can relieve stress and tension, which is one likely cause of migraines.
Acupuncture needles can be placed in various locations of the body, including the arms, legs, back, head, face, and ears. An acupuncturist will determine where your needles should be placed based on the location and type of pain you are experiencing.
Benefits of Acupuncture for Migraines
Treating migraines with acupuncture has many advantages. Acupuncture for migraines can:
- Lessen migraine frequency. Many patients find that they have fewer migraine headaches while receiving regular acupuncture treatments. The frequency of your treatments can be determined based on the frequency of your migraines.
- Reduce the need for medication. Pain medication can help with migraines. However, migraines tend to be so severe that strong medication is required. These medications come with side effects. They also lose their effectiveness over time as the body gets used to the current dosage, requiring repeated increases in dosage in order to provide any relief.
- Lower the risk of narcotic addiction. Many migraine pain relief medications are narcotics, which are extremely habit forming. A patient can easily become addicted to their pain medication and abuse it, potentially resulting in a harmful overdose.
- Detox the body. Acupuncture may allow you to stop taking your current migraine medications, which allows the body to detoxify and eliminate chemicals that may have been wreaking havoc on your system.
- Relieve stress. Acupuncture also relieves stress for the patient. Many people experience stress in the form of tension in the muscles and tissues of the body. Acupuncture can relieve the tension and the stress that causes it.
- Experience a better quality of life. Ultimately, without the burden of migraine pain and the worry that one could occur at any moment, you are free to enjoy your life. Acupuncture for migraines can give you back your happiness and allow you to do the things you love.
Do these benefits sound good to you? It may be the right time to give acupuncture a try. Don’t wait until the next migraine hits to start acupuncture therapy. Start now and you may prevent future migraines from occurring.
Looking for Migraine Relief? Thumos Health Center Can Help
If you suffer from regular migraines that negatively impact your daily life, acupuncture for migraines may be the solution for you. When you’ve tried other treatments from medication to diet changes and you’ve found no relief, it can be disheartening. But you don’t have to live with the pain of migraines and the fear associated with them. Try acupuncture at Thumos Health Center and you may find that it brings you additional health benefits besides migraine relief, such as improvements in emotional disorders like anxiety and depression.
Thumos Health Center is an Eastern medical practice providing holistic healing methods in the Los Angeles area. Call (323) 372-5150 or contact us today to schedule an appointment. We look forward to helping you find relief from your migraines as well as additional health benefits.
Pregnancy is an exciting and challenging time for any woman. From the moment of conception, there is a whirlwind of emotions, physical changes, and preparations for the baby’s arrival. One […]
Using Acupuncture To Treat PCOS And Boost Fertility Using acupuncture for women’s health isn’t a new idea. Traditional Eastern medicine has been treating women’s health and reproductive issues for years […]
Acupuncture is a practice in Chinese medicine that is considered to be one of the oldest healing practices in the world. It has positive impacts on all the body’s systems, […]
Stainless steel needles are used with both dry needling and acupuncture. That can make it a little hard to tell the difference between them visually. Both treatments make claims to […]