Do you suffer from sciatic nerve pain? The sciatic nerve is one of the largest nerves that runs from the lumbar region of the spine and down the leg with many smaller nerves branching off from it. Sciatica is the term for sciatic nerve pain and other symptoms such as tingling and numbness in the legs and feet. The cause of sciatica is thought to be a pinched nerve that is under pressure from inflammation of the muscles and tissues surrounding the nerve.
It can be difficult to determine the cause or source of sciatic nerve pain, therefore making it a challenge to treat. One potential treatment for sciatica is acupuncture. Acupuncture is used to treat a variety of health conditions and has been very successful in relieving pain. Here’s how acupuncture for sciatica works.
How Acupuncture Works
Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese (Eastern) medicine that involves inserting thin needles into the top layer of the skin. A major theme of Eastern medicine is the concept of qi, which is defined as the energy or vital life force that flows through all living things. The belief is that the qi can become blocked, causing pain and other symptoms. Acupuncture serves to restore the flow of energy (qi) throughout the body, thus relieving pain and inflammation.
Acupuncture for Sciatica
Acupuncture has been successful at relieving sciatic nerve pain. The needles are inserted at certain acupuncture points that correspond to the sciatic nerve and the nerves that branch off from it. This process helps in a variety of ways:
- Releases endorphins. Acupuncture needles stimulate nerves that lead to the release of endorphins. Endorphins change the way your brain and spinal cord process pain, which can lead to lasting relief.
- Reduce inflammation. One of the main causes of sciatic pain is inflammation, which acupuncture can help to relieve. The needles allow swelling to subside, which can relieve the pressure on the sciatic nerve and other nerves in the same area.
- Increase circulation. Acupuncture stimulates blood flow, which promotes healing. Blood flow is key to proper nerve function, allowing the nerves to properly conduct signals. Microcirculation specifically aids in the reduction of swelling.
- Promotes regeneration of the sciatic nerve. Sometimes sciatic nerve pain, tingling, and numbness is due to actual damage to the sciatic nerve and other connected nerves. Acupuncture stimulates healing and regeneration of the nerves to relieve pain and other nerve symptoms.
Benefits of Treating Sciatica With Acupuncture
There are many benefits to treating sciatic nerve pain and related symptoms with acupuncture, including:
- Pain relief without medication. When we experience pain, our first instinct is to take pain relief medication. But medication has side effects. Over the counter pain relievers can have a negative effect on the liver. Prescription pain medications can have more serious side effects and can also be habit forming. But acupuncture relieves pain without the side effects of medication.
- Longer lasting pain relief. Pain medication only lasts for so long before it is necessary to take more. And as your body gets used to the medication, you may find that you have to increase your dose to get the same effect. But the effects of acupuncture can last for days, weeks, and sometimes even longer.
- Actual healing rather than masking symptoms. Acupuncture and Eastern medicine focuses on healing the body through natural means. While pain medication simply masks the symptoms, acupuncture can promote actual healing of the sciatic nerve or whatever is putting pressure on the nerve and causing the pain.
Thumos Health Center Provides Acupuncture for Sciatica
If you experience frequent or chronic sciatic nerve pain or other symptoms like tingling and numbness, acupuncture may be the solution. Thumos Health Center provides acupuncture for sciatica as part of a holistic approach to pain relief and treatment. You can get relief from your pain and other symptoms without medication and the unwanted side effects.
Call (323) 372-5150 or contact us today to schedule a consultation. We look forward to providing you with all natural relief of your sciatica.