Nausea is one of the most unpleasant human conditions. It can occur for a variety of reasons including motion sickness, inner ear imbalances, and pregnancy. Nausea due to a viral or bacterial infection of the digestive system is usually short-lived and will resolve itself in a few days. Other sources of nausea can be recurring or chronic and have a negative impact on your daily life and overall health.
Morning sickness related to pregnancy is one of the most common causes of nausea. Morning sickness can be severe for some people, making it difficult or even impossible to get the nutrition you need for a healthy pregnancy. It also causes undue stress and misery during a time that should be enjoyable. There are medications that can reduce nausea, but the potential side effects or risk of birth defects prevents many people from taking them.
Treatment for nausea doesn’t have to include pharmaceuticals. One of the most beneficial treatments for nausea is acupuncture. It is a safe, effective, non-chemical option that can provide lasting relief. Here’s how it works.
How Acupuncture for Pregnancy and Morning Sickness Works
Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese method that is still used today in Eastern medicine. It involves the insertion of thin needles into the top layer of skin. These needles serve to restore the flow of energy throughout the body, known as the Qi in Eastern medicinal philosophy. Pregnancy incites a lot of changes in the body that can cause the Qi to become blocked. Acupuncture unblocks these areas which relieves symptoms like nausea and pain.
It has been proven over the last 3,000 years that acupuncture is effective in the treatment of a wide range of physical and mental/emotional conditions. Acupuncture for pregnancy has shown to relieve morning sickness and also improve fertility. It can lessen the effects of certain sensory triggers that lead to nausea. Combined with acupressure and nutritional therapy, many pregnant patients avoid morning sickness altogether or find significant relief from it.
Benefits of Acupuncture During Pregnancy
Receiving acupuncture treatment during pregnancy has many benefits, including:
- Lasting relief for nausea. Acupuncture treatment provides lasting results. The frequency of treatments is based on your individual needs. You may only need acupuncture once a week for a full week of nausea relief. After the first trimester you may need it even less or not at all.
- Avoid the risks and side effects of medication. Many anti-nausea medications are not safe to take while you are pregnant. There are risks of birth defects with some and the potential for other negative side effects. Acupuncture is chemical-free and completely safe for pregnant patients and their unborn babies.
- Relieve pain associated with pregnancy. Pregnancy puts strain on the body, which causes pain in a variety of areas such as the hips, abdominal muscles, back, legs, knees, and feet. Acupuncture can help relieve the pain from various parts of the body that are being stretched and bearing extra weight.
- Reduce the risk of breech birth. Acupuncture can help the baby to descend head first into the birth canal. If your baby is breech before you go into labor, starting acupuncture can encourage the baby to turn in the final months and weeks of your pregnancy.
- Increase the chances of a smoother labor and delivery. Acupuncture relieves the stress and discomfort of pregnancy, which can help you have a smoother, faster, and easier delivery.
Having a Difficult Pregnancy? Thumos Health Center Provides Acupuncture
Pregnancy can be difficult for some. Morning sickness, body aches, and the effects of hormones can make what should be a beautiful time in your life quite miserable instead. But acupuncture for pregnancy can relieve many of the unpleasant symptoms without introducing any foreign chemicals into your body. Thumos Health Center has provided relief of many pregnancy-related issues through acupuncture treatment.
Call (323) 372-5150 or contact us to schedule a consultation. We look forward to helping you have a healthy, happy pregnancy.
Pregnancy is an exciting and challenging time for any woman. From the moment of conception, there is a whirlwind of emotions, physical changes, and preparations for the baby’s arrival. One […]
Using Acupuncture To Treat PCOS And Boost Fertility Using acupuncture for women’s health isn’t a new idea. Traditional Eastern medicine has been treating women’s health and reproductive issues for years […]
The ancient healing practice of Chinese acupuncture is used to bring the body back into balance. Life is full of stressors and, quite often, unhealthy habits. This can cause the […]
Acupuncture is a practice in Chinese medicine that is considered to be one of the oldest healing practices in the world. It has positive impacts on all the body’s systems, […]